MDBPA is seeking a part to full-time Executive Director to lead the association’s work in 2018 and for years to come! Please find detailed information below and contact us with your questions.
Maryland Building Performance Association (MDBPA) is a small 501(c)(6) not-for-profit trade association serving Maryland’s building performance contractors with education, member services, industry advocacy and much more. MDBPA’s mission is to increase consumer participation in high performance construction of homes and buildings across Maryland by working with industry companies, professionals and stakeholders to improve policies and regulation, educate consumers, train our workforce and more. MDBPA’s membership includes 45 member companies and is managed by a volunteer Board of Directors. MDBPA was first incorporated in 2013 as Efficiency First Maryland and was rebranded and reorganized with an expanded mission in June of 2017.
The Executive Director will initially serve in a part-time capacity as the only staff for the association. With support from the Board of Directors, member and sponsor companies, and partner organizations, the Executive Director will be encouraged to seek out new business opportunities, recruit new member companies, obtain grant funding and establish programs that result in a full-time position with additional staff.
The Executive Director will report to the Executive Committee of the Board of Directors and have the authority and autonomy necessary to run the association’s day-to-day operations. Additionally, the Executive Director will work with the Board of Directors to continue the implementation of the association’s Strategic Plan and create new business opportunities where able.
The Executive Director will be an Independent Contractor working part-time approximately 15 to 20 hours per week. The association does not have a physical office so most work will be performed from home, partner offices or at industry events.
- Member Services:
- Lead the association’s effort to identify, develop and deliver valuable services, events and programs to member companies, member professionals, sponsor organizations and the industry-at-large.
- Lead efforts to recruit new member companies to join the association and ensure that existing member companies choose to renew their memberships.
- Lead the development, implementation and compliance obligations of sponsor and grant-funded projects and programs.
- Education and Communications:
- Lead the association’s efforts to educate the general public, policy makers and industry stakeholders on the value of high performance construction.
- Answer and respond to all incoming calls, emails and other communications.
- Manage external communications with member company professionals, prospective members, partner organizations and vendors.
- Organize, host and attend in-person and virtual industry events including workshops, meetings, webinars, committee meetings, networking events and conferences, including a small amount of events that are after regular business hours. A small amount of infrequent overnight travel is required.
- Manage online presence via WordPress website, social media accounts, e-newsletter and other platforms.
- Board of Directors Support:
- Schedule, manage and serve as Secretary for Board meetings and activities, with support from the Executive Committee.
- Work with the Board of Directors to implement and, when needed, update the association’s Strategic Plan with forward-thinking industry development activities and goals for the association.
- Industry Partnerships:
- Establish and maintain supportive collaborative partnerships with local, state and national organizations.
- Finance and Operations:
- Manage information technology resources including cloud-based server, communications programs, webinar platform and website.
- Manage accounting and financial activities primarily through QuickBooks, with support from the Treasurer. This includes managing the association’s annual budgeting process, processing Accounts Receivable and Accounts Payable, processing tax forms, expense management and more.
- Maintain the association’s not-for-profit status including file financial reports, taxes and other activities as required by state and federal law.
- Hire and manage part-time, subcontractor and intern staff when needed to executive key projects and activities.
No less than four years’ experience is required in the following:
- Association or nonprofit management or operations.
- Business development and outside sales.
- Microsoft Office applications.
Experience is strongly preferred in the following:
- Business development and outside sales.
- Residential or commercial construction, green building or support services.
- QuickBooks administration.
- WordPress administration.
The Executive Director must have reliable access to:
- Mobile phone for work-related phone calls and messaging.
- Home or remote work location.
- Personal or public transportation.
A competitive hourly wage between $30 – $40 per hour will be provided. Bonus opportunities will also be provided at the start of employment based on membership, sponsorship and grant-funded revenue generation.
Travel costs and office expenses associated with this role will be paid for by the association via a card provided to the Executive Director.
Mileage reimbursement will be provided at the standard GSA rate for work-related travel using the Executive Director’s personal vehicle.
Email cover letter and resume to Info@MDBPA.org to apply.